Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Ugh- is it 5:10 am already????

Every morning my alarm goes off at 5:10- an hour much too early, especially on Thursday night's with Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice keeping me up until at least 11 pm (even later if I have a Grey's date with my girlfriends). But, that oh so dreaded sound is needed; it signals the start to the day- my workout!

I'm sure you knew that the day was coming when my "Health" blog would be about working out. A hated subject, especially among us women species- however, it's a subject that is very important to me and my life.

My workout journey started my freshman year in college as I was DETERMINED not to gain the freshman 15. My friends often joke that I am the only one that exited college smaller than the day I entered. I started Wake Forest a size 10 and left a size 2. That's right, I dropped 8 sizes in 4 years. It was/is/will forever be hard work, but it's do-able.

From the beginning, I have worked out in the wee hours of the morning. Why? Not because I am insane (although that would be a nice excuse) but because I found that if I put my workout off until later in the day that I would conjure up every excuse under the sun as to why I couldn't go to the gym (too tired, too much homework (then) or too much housework (now), no one to watch my yeast grow in the lab (then) or no one to watch the baby (now)...and the list would go on and on and on).

Since Wake Forest, my workout schedule has not changed, however I do have a workout partner- my mama! Yes, she hates me for it and reminds me on a regular basis- but it's my desire to keep her young and healthy so she can tend to my baby boy! During my pregnancy, working out was a #1 concern and I continued to workout until the day that I was put on bed rest. I did cardio, weights, everything (minus abs- which was pretty useless at that time!). After my c-section, I was forbidden to workout for 6 weeks, but I HAD to get those 62 lbs off so I went back after 4 weeks (shhhh- don't tell Dr. Kepley). And, don't judge- I gained 62 lbs- while working out every morning AND eating ice cream ALL day EVERY day. I enjoyed my pregnancy and just in case you're curious, I lost it all and some. I'm 3 lbs smaller today than I was the day I got pregnant. And, as for the size 2? Of course I'm back in them! I had a whole wardrobe that I couldn't let go to waste!!! I have since purchased some size 4...but, that's just 2 pairs of jeans...the rest is the old Erica. As a new parent, I couldn't afford to buy myself AND my new child a closet of clothes- it's a great incentive!

I found some interesting facts regarding fitness via webmd.com (I love this site). Here they are for the sharing: 1. Exercise Boosts Brainpower
Not only does exercise improve your body, it helps your mental function. All that makes for a more productive day.Improved productivity not only makes you a better worker, it makes things better for everyone in the workplace. Companies with less wasted work hours and less sick time end up with lower health care costs -- and an improved bottom line.
2. Movement Melts Away Stress
As much as it may stress you out just to think about exercising, once you actually start working out, you'll experience less stress in every part of your life.When you're less stressed, you're less irritable.
3. Exercise Gives You Energy
You might be surprised at how, say, popping in a workout tape for 30 minutes in the morning can change your whole day. When endorphins are released into your bloodstream during exercise you feel much more energized the rest of the day.
4. It's Not That Hard to Find Time for Fitness

Now that it is a routine in my life, I love it! I love days that start off at the gym- it helps me get mentally prepared for the day, it helps me vent my frustrations (to my mom/workout partner) from the day past, and it keeps me looking like one hot mama (hahaha!).

Baby Boy doing his morning workout...lifting a 5 gallon water jug.
Yea, he gets those muscles from his mama!

Have a great day- and try working out and challenging yourself. You won't be sorry!
Erica

No comments: