Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chocolate Wasted

As I unpacked my child's first trick-or-treating bucket filled to the brim with all things imaginable (a pencil included) I sorted through the candy I will let him have (soft, easily chewed things) and put the other stuff (hard candy, candy I know he doesn't care for, etc) in my husband's emergency sugar low stash. Also while unpacking/sorting, I couldn't help but think about the millions of trick-or-treaters that visited door to door throughout the United States- we had a whopping 50-75 kids visit our home.

I decided that I would write my first blog of the week regarding "health" on Halloween candy- the yummy, gooey, goodness...yet calorie and sugar filled.

Here's some of the neatest stats I found:
- There were an estimated 41 million trick-or-treaters out last night
- The average American consumes 24.7 pounds of candy per year (I believe that our family at about half that much last night!!)
- The highest calorie popular candy is the fun size Butterfinger- ringing in at a whopping 85 calories
- The lowest calorie popular candy is the 2 pack Starburst- coming in last at 40 calories

(thanks to calorielab.com and factmonster.com)

I wish that I could say that I limited myself and my son when it came to consuming the Halloween candy- but I didn't. Both of us consumed three pieces...my favorite are the fun size Twix and Gage's favorite are the Reece cups. What I can say is, Halloween comes one time per year; eat up! Enjoy those little pieces of chocolate heaven. Get chocolate wasted.


Our "One-Eyed Monster" on his First Trick-or-Treating Adventure!


Here's to staying up late with your kid that has a sugar rush, all the extra miles on the eliptical, and finding a good dentist....
Erica

No comments: