Thursday, July 19, 2012

BIG Project - Little Boy...Post #3

While this is week 3 of the Big Boy Bedroom sequence, this is the MAIN project and has been going on for quite some time...NOT for the faint of heart!

This is the headboard- the focus- the death of this mama!

I thought it looked cool to have a pallet headboard. What I didn't think was cool was sanding that sucker for hours upon hours to make sure that my little sweetie didn't have any splinter hazards!

Here's how I built the masterpiece:
1) Find a pallet (this was easy, again, for me since we own a lumber company. But I'm pretty sure they're easy to come by anywhere!)
2) SAND...SAND...SAND...SAND...if you don't have an electric sander- stop now. Get one.
3) Sand some more...
4) Stain it- I used American Century Classic by Minwax. Love it.
5) Seal it with a nice poly- I used a satin finish because I didn't want the shine.
6) Create a "base" for it. This isn't pictured and isn't required if you're going to secure it to the wall, but I didn't want any more holes than necessary in his room. (I'm sure more holes will occur in his walls via being a boy as time rolls on).
7) Attach the bed frame. A twin size bed fits the pallet PERFECTLY.
8) Stand back and be proud- of the sanding, of course.

Again, we love it. Hope you do too!

Feel free to ask questions in the comment box below. I'll help as best I can.



No comments: