Thursday, July 5, 2012

A BIG project for a little boy...the first of many posts...

So- I'm baaaaack! It's been a few months (sorry)- life just got really busy and honestly I couldn't think of interesting things to blog about. However- the big boy is almost 2 so I have LoTs to talk about now as we plan for his big birthday bash, create his new big boy bedroom, and start potty training (yikes!).

Thanks to Pinterest, his big boy bedroom was conceived. I will be posting on all of the different projects that went into creating the perfect "antique airplane suite"- there were about a zillion of them.

If you have questions about products I used or techniques, leave a comment. I'll be more than happy to share.

Here is info about project #1: antiqued signs (to be hung via chain on the walls in the new bedroom) - we cut a 1x6x10' cedar plank into random lengths but all around the 26" mark. We then nailed them to 3' long 1x4 cedar planks (this was easy access for me since we have a lumber company- but lowes would carry these items too and may even help you cut them!) - I then stained the signs in American Classic stain - let them air dry for 1 week - began painting my saying and hand drawing the plane. I painted with an off white acrylic to keep that vintage feel (special side note: to mark where you want to paint, use chalk! It's easily removed with a dab of water!!). - We screwed in cabinet door pulls and attached 50lb test chain. We bought special anchors to attach them to the walls, and we were sure to find the studs because these suckers were HEAVY! 

I hope you love them as much as I do!!! More bedroom stuff to come...as it gets done. Remember- I'm a full time employee, full time mama and full time wife. Being a full time craftsman just doesn't always make the top of the to-do list! Have a great day!!!




No comments: